Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Things Happen in Circles

I am becoming more and more sure that life happens in circles. It is no wonder that so many ancient cultures use circles in their designs and artwork, like the circles etched into the stone in front of Newgrange.

This week I had a feeling. This would be the week that I would get a job.

Yesterday I gave up on waiting for graphic design jobs to get back to me so I went to a local coffee shop called Speeder and Earls, because I had seen an add on craigslist that they were looking for barista's. So I drove down there and put in my application and then I walked across the parking lot to Great Harvest and put in an application there as well. I walked to Drink, a local bar and applied for a bar-back position there. I had made a list of things to do that day including bringing up boxes from the basement, doing laundry, and finding a William Stafford poem to read for a poetry reading / celebration at Champlain.

The poem really settled me, brought me back down to earth.

Once in the 40s

We were alone one night on a long
road in Montana. This was in winter, a big
night, far to the stars. We had hitched,
my wife and I, and left our ride at
a crossing to go on. Tired and cold -- but
brave -- we trudged along. This, we said,
was our life, watched over, allowed to go
where we wanted. We said we'd come back some time
when we got rich. We'd leave the others and find
a night like this, whatever we had to give,
and no matter how far, to be so happy again.

I finished my entire list, a good day is a day where most of the things on my list get done. I can always tell how crazy my day will be by what sort of things are on my list. If things like feeding my dog, or brushing my teeth, or on one really crazy day the phrase "take time to have fun," then I am going to have a stressful day.

I have been feeling very untethered, and not in a free spirit / I can fly kind of way, but in a I have to clean and be constantly doing things so that I can't stop and think and float away further.

After reading the Stafford's poem and applying to those jobs I looked online and 3 new graphic design jobs had been posted online.

The best part of this week, is that my feeling was right. I got a call today that from a Doggie Day Care place in Burlington that they want me to start tomorrow. So tomorrow at 6:30 I start work, and I am so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment