Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I'm Hungry, but I'm not from Hungary

Vegans and vegetarians beware, the food in Hungary is meat laden. I loved it. I ate out pretty much everyday and the food was so good and cheap. Th exchange rate makes your dollars go a long way. Fried dough, covered in sour-cream and cheese, (the Hungarians love sour-cream), mushroom soup, traditional sausage, fire baked dough covered in chocolate, a hungarian calzone bigger than my head, and the delicious light beer. I also ate a burrito, in Hungary, it wasn't half bad, but Tres Armanas in Sacramento still takes the cake for me.

I am so glad I visited a place off the beaten path. I would suggest to anyone who is traveling, it is all well and good to visit tourist cities but the places you will most keenly remember will be the places where you see the least amount of tourists.

Have you ever been walking around, half lost, half trying to get more lost, and it is just the perfect time for it to start snowing. Well I was in that exact situation in the city of Pecs, in Hungary, and it actually started snowing. I stood by a fence filled with locks, placed there by couples getting married with a beautiful, huge church and Christmas fair on one side and a winding empty street on the other. It was perfect.

Perhaps it was because I was alone, maybe it was because I had been lost and I had just found a way back to an area I remembered, perhaps it was because I am excited about returning home for Christmas and the fair and church reminded me of my family, or maybe I was feeling romantic over the fence filled with locks, but I felt so happy and content on my own and I felt so excited to return to the people that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment