Tuesday, September 1, 2009

So it is the beginning of a new month and I have officially been in Dublin for a whole week. A lot has happened.

I got on a plane with my father after a very bitter sweet visit back home, and traveled for 2 days. When we arrived my father noted, "This can't be Ireland, It's not raining." There was a bit of a mix up at the airport and no one was there to pick me up and take me to the apartments Champlain is renting. But a quick call solved the problem rather nicely and after a lecture on better planning strategies me and my father got in a taxi.

All my roommates were already there before I arrived and I have to say I can't think of a much better living situation.

The next day my father and I took a hop on hop off bus all around Dublin. We saw the natural history museum, which was great and creepy. I've never seen a dead body that has been submerged in a bog. In that bog all the bones disintegrate but the skin and organs stay intact and become leathery. A skeleton wouldn't bother me, but these bodies still looked so much like humans that I found it hard to look at them, but if you’re not too squeamish you should defiantly check them out. We went to Dublin castle, and the post office, which still has bullet holes from the 1916 Easter Rising. We also went to Kilmainham Goal which is a jail where many famous Irish Historical figures were held, especially those involved in the Easter Rising. It was the best tour I have ever been on.

If you are doing anything touristy in Dublin tell them you’re a student. Almost every place we went to had a student discount.

After that my father and I had dinner, I was surprised by the lack of pub or classical Irish food that is served at most restaurants, but Dublin is a big city and you can find just about any kind of food here. Everyone I talk to says the Mexican food is awful, but there are a tone of cheap Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai food restaurants, a sprinkling of Italian and a few Indian places.

After 3 days of orientation, Pat, my Dad and I drove to New grange and that was amazing. If you are in Ireland and you like history you will love it. When we got back we all had fish and chips from Burdocks which gives you huge portions; at first I thought they were giving me a whole fish to eat.

The internet at the apartments hasn’t been working until yesterday, but now that it is working I can be more diligent about posting.

Sláinte-which is cheers and is pronounced 'slawn-cha’

No comments:

Post a Comment