Saturday, May 22, 2010

Be The Change

So, I graduated. I mean I walked in the ceremony, the actual graduating happened months ago. My parents came up with my 5 pound “sister” Daphne (she is a Chihuahua in case anyone was seriously worried about her weight). It was wonderful; we hung out at a cabin on Mallets bay and I woke up in awe of my surroundings, every morning.
I don’t feel much different. I am still in the same job, the same apartment, with the same guy. I am happy but I feel a tug to change something up. I love my apartment and my boyfriend for that matter, so I guess the job is the only thing that I could change. I love my job too, but I know I could do better, I could do more, and get paid more.

Or maybe I just feel like I have to use my degree, but that’s not true so long as I am happy, right? I got a degree more because I knew to be taken seriously I needed one. I knew I could design a degree that looked just as real 2 years into my 4-year program. What kept me here was seeing my mother, who is talented and smart and has 30 years of job experience; struggle to get into interviews because she never finished college. I don’t think the system is good or right, but it is, and I won’t become a victim.

Perhaps I just need to find a way to use design, a friend needs help making a website, or a local festival needs some poster designs. These types of projects are so exciting and they mean something to me.

Or maybe to create change in my life I should just get another pet, despite the turmoil that would put my relationship in. I did say I wanted a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment